The Quentin Tarantino Archives, there is a script and a name.
At this time, little is known about Django Unchained but there are some rumors:
- It may or may not have Christoph Waltz and the original Django, Franco Nero in the cast.
- It may be about a freed slave bounty hunter in the American South.
- It may be a true Spaghetti Western modeled after the 1966 film Django.
- Production will begin in the third quarter of 2011.
- Pulp Fiction producer Stacey Sher is attached to the project.
- The release date will be in 2012. Maybe.
Coincidentally, Zoltan reviewed the original Django from 1966 only yesterday so if you want to see what the "inspiration" for this Tarantino project is check it out. I will post more details as I learn of them or you can visit the Django Unchained fan page on Facebook or The Quentin Tarantino Archives for more information.
Source: The Quentin Tarantino Archives
UPDATE: Wait! We have a plot update from Westerns... All'Italiana!:
"Django is a freed slave, who, under the tutelage of a German bounty hunter (to be played by Christoph Waltz) becomes a bad ass bounty hunter himself, and after assisting Waltz in taking down some outlaws for bounty, is helped by Waltz in tracking down his wife, who is still a slave and liberating her from an evil plantation owner."